Science Fun in the Snow!

The Tip of the Iceberg

The famous “tip of the iceberg” represents only about 10% of the total mass of an iceberg. Why isn’t the tip submerged like the other 90%? Create your own iceberg, and see for yourself.

Materials

  • plastic container
  • large bowl
  • water

Let’s get to work!

  1. Fill your plastic container with water and place it outside (if the temperature is below 0˚C), or in a freezer, overnight.
  2. Unmould the block of ice into the bowl.
  3. Fill the bowl to the top with water.

Take Note!

Using what you’ve learned, try to predict whether your iceberg’s melt water will overflow the bowl. To find out, just observe!

What happened?

Ice is a strange sort of solid. Unlike other solids such as metal, which contract when exposed to cold, water expands as it freezes and solidifies. The bonds between the molecules of solid water are rigid, but there is lots of space between them. This space is filled with air, which makes snow and ice lighter than water. This is why your iceberg floats

Back to top

Table of Contents